Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Time Flies

Wow, 2 years since I last posted!

As evidenced by the unfulfilled promises in my archived posts, I have not kept this blog updated nor do I promise to do so from here on out (obviously, my word is null and void when it comes to blogging). However, now that school is over, my husband is deployed, and I am unemployed my chances of following through this time around are a bit higher.

Highlight reel of the past two years:

* From January 2009-Feb 2010 I finally got a job working at the EPA in Seattle. It called for long hours and a difficult commute but at the end of the day, I was very thankful God placed that opportunity in my lap. I was able to finish grad school debt free!

*We took a trip to Victoria, B.C. as a last hurrah before Marc deployed. We hiked, toured, and ate amazing seafood. Those Canadians have some prime real estate.


* We celebrated our 2nd anniversary!

*Marc deployed for the first time June 2009-November 2009. It was very difficult to be apart and I had to learn to live completely on my own for the first time. My time was filled with work, school, amazing friends/neighbors, and my awesome bible study girls; without all of this I would not have survived! The homecoming was spectacular.

Our Homecoming

*The holidays were a whirlwind, as usual. Marc's parents flew in from New Jersey for Thanksgiving. I prepared my first turkey ever, which came out excellent I might add, and we completed the weekend  with Pike Place Market and boat tour of Lake Washington. Christmas bore an unexpected shocker. One week before my entire family was to fly in for Christmas, my Papa was admitted to the hospital for fluid in his lungs. Having recently beat throat cancer, the doctor's decided to admit him. We changed our plans and flew to Colorado, as did my Uncle's family. We were able to surround my Nana and Papa in support as we found out he had lung cancer. Although the circumstances were rough, God's perfect timing brought together my entire family at a time when we had all planned to spend Christmas apart. I will always cherish that Christmas.

*February 2010 I quit my job at the EPA to prepare for student teaching in March. Marc and I took a post-deployment trip to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and simply checked out of reality. My husband also surprised me and fulfilled one of my life-long dreams: to swim with the dolphins. It was one of the best experiences. 


*March 2010-June 2010 I completed my student teaching at a high school teaching English and Social Studies to Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors. It was one of the hardest yet most fulfilling things I have ever done. My passion for teaching increased tenfold and my calling in life was only solidified. I had so much fun I didn't want it to come to an end (and I was working for free!); I still miss my kids. June 13th was graduation day at Safeco Field in Seattle and I was able to say "Peace!" to school for the first time in my life (at least for now...) My whole family came out to celebrate.

M.A. Teaching

*In March, Marc and I also got to meet our new nephew Carson! We took my Spring Break to visit Jared and Adrienne in Massachusetts and had the best time touring Salem and Boston, eating amazing food, drinking Blueberry beer (I highly recommend this), and simply laughing (but we always have the best time with them, so no surprise there).


*Found out we are moving next year and in true Air Force fashion, we were given a move date time window of 3 months :) So, as of now, we are moving from Washington anytime from February-May 2011. However, our base list is rockin: England, Germany, Denver, Hawaii, Virginia. I can honestly say I would be happy with any of those...

*We got a dog!!! After 3 years of begging and pleading with Marc to get me a puppy, he finally relented. And now loves her more than I do: as he likes to say "You're the reason we got her, and I'm the reason we keep her." Lets be honest, no one in their right mind can simply "just look" at lab puppies and not bring one home. Guinness joined the family and she has been a great addition. We have taken her camping, hiking, and road-tripping and she is proving herself a trooper. 

Her first night home
Little more up to date, although she has since gotten much bigger


*Two days after my parents left the graduation festivities, my grandfather became very ill. His battle with lung cancer looked as though it was coming to an end as his body stopped responding to the chemo. I quickly flew out to Colorado not knowing when my grandfather would pass away, but knowing this was going to be my last time to see him. After 4 days with my family, my grandfather passed away on my last day there-June 22, 2010, 6 months exactly after his 77th birthday. I was able to tell him how much I loved him and how grateful I was that God placed him in my life. For those of you who know me well, you know how close I was to him; he was my second father. He was a hard worker who expected nothing less from us, which he so faithfully exhibited even while battling cancer. Our pastor recently said in a sermon "No matter what life God gives you, live it well" and my Papa is the epitome of living life well, no matter what speed bumps you endure along the way. He holds a special place in my heart:




*We celebrated our 3rd Anniversary :)

*July and August flew by with weddings, vacations, and preparing for Marc's 2nd deployment. In July we flew out to New Jersey for Carey and Ryan Burke's wedding. Carey and Ryan are both long-time childhood friends of Marcs' and it was such a blessing to witness their special day. The wedding was beautiful, Carey looked gorgeous, and we had a blast! The end of July into August Marc and I flew back to the east coast again but this time for a Marmino-Snapp-Peabody-Carlton family vaca to Outerbanks, North Carolina. If you haven't been, all those stories about how picturesque it is...yea, they're true. We spent a week relaxing on the beach, spending quality time with family, and eating amazing food (if you haven't guessed yet, Marc and I are big foodies. And winos, but thats for another time...). 

Wedding...

OBX...

*After we got back from North Carolina we only had a few weeks to prepare for Marc's deployment. He left the end of August and so far we are only 2 weeks into it; only time will tell how this one goes. Having done this once before we know what to expect in certain areas but many things are also different. Marc is in a different location than last time and I do not have a job to keep me busy. The education job market is very tough right now, especially in Washington State, and although I have had several interviews and have been highly considered, I have not been hired. Luckily their are still some last minute job postings, so fingers crossed! In the meantime I will be subbing, spending time with family and friends, and hopefully improving my blog skills :)







3 comments:

Leigh Anna said...

Oh man, I am so very proud of you:)

K and S said...

Finally. Thank you very much.

Becca said...

already slacking off again, huh?